This is Rochford Square One of four historic squares within the boundaries of historic old Charlottetown: Rochford Square, Connaught Square, Hillsborough Square, and Kings Square. These squares were laid out in a plan drawn by surveyor Thomas Wright in 1771. These squares have been sources of civic pride since the first community tree planting took place in 1884.
In 2000, as part of a millennium project for the Charlottetown Kiwanis Club, and in cooperation with surrounding neighbours, one of the four historic green squares was redeveloped. Rochford Square, a four-hectare rectangle across from the Provincial Buildings on Pownal St. was developed into a Victorian-style Garden, complete with new pathways, ornate flowerbeds, benches and new shrub beds. This is now a popular location for wedding photographs and tourist pictures.